Most of the time, chiropractic care is usually associated with adults. After all, people seek these specialists to ease pain, aches, or headaches that are part of adult life. However, pediatric chiropractic care is crucial for kids as well, right from infancy to teenage life.
For more than a century, children have benefited immensely from pediatric chiropractors who offer safe and natural solutions and relief from various conditions. These specialists perform chiropractic adjustments to kids with the spine, joints, or nervous ailments. The treatment can also be therapeutic for kids who've sustained injuries while playing or in an
While the treatment's benefits may be many, you must seek the services of a qualified physician with an excellent track record. You also need to know what to expect and prepare your child adequately.
Doctor showing anatomical doll to her child patient in a chiropractic office
*What Is Pediatric Chiropractic Treatment?*
Generally, infancy can be slightly traumatic. This is when children learn to crawl, stand, walk, hop, tumble, and run. What's more, kids are always in a state of discovery and play, engaging themselves in numerous indoor
and outdoor games.
All these pursuits may lead to shifts in their musculoskeletal system, which lead to subluxations. The spinal nerves may develop misalignments that affect the efficient functioning of their nervous system. What's more, the body's ability to function optimally will be altered, setting the stage for headaches, asthma, ear infections, etc.
Pediatric chiropractic therapy comes through to correct spinal misalignments. In turn, this improves the kid's well-being and protects them from health concerns in the future. The treatment is effective for kids since their bodies are still developing and should be carried out by a qualified, knowledgeable, and licensed chiropractor.
A girl’s spine being manipulated by chiropractic
manual therapist in a pediatric clinic
*When Is the Best Time to Start?*
It's never too early to begin working on your child's health and wellness through pediatric chiropractic care. In fact, we recommend that you schedule your first appointment as soon as possible. Notably, the entire childbirth process may subject the child to immense trauma, leading to misalignments. The misalignments are partly to blame for children's
everyday problems, such as colic, breastfeeding hurdles, or ear infections.
There's also the viable argument that prenatal chiropractic care could benefit the child immensely. Chiropractors use the Webster technique <https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12183701/> to treat misalignments around the pelvic region. This helps reduce pain and enhance neurological function.
Expectant mothers that undergo this treatment regularly throughout their pregnancy experience relatively less pain. There's also a lower risk of dangerous breech birth <https://www.webmd.com/baby/external-cephalic-version-overview>, and the odds of a more comfortable birth process will be higher. Arguably a more effortless and safer birth process for the mother will likely provide a better start for the child.
*How Does Pediatric Chiropractic Differ From Adult Adjustment?*
Children and adults display varying psychological differences. The diversity is what determines how appropriate any issued health care intervention is.
The main difference between pediatric chiropractic care and adjustments for adults is the nature of these adjustments. Considering how delicate and small infants are, they require specialized treatment procedures.
Pediatric chiropractors can deliver the best results since they receive specialized training. Their working environment is also composed of children; hence they know how to handle them and offer the best care. They also have a special certification that distinct them from family chiropractors.
*Why Should They Get Adjustments?*
Just like adults, children of different ages benefit from chiropractic adjustments. Here are some of the crucial benefits of the treatment.
- *Improved immune system* – Sick seasons can be challenging for kids and their parents alike. But pediatric chiropractic care can support <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5885462/> the child's immune system, allowing them to effectively fight the illness. The treatment can reduce sickness duration and prevent the ailment from flaring up.
- *Better sleep* – A child requires quality sleep for optimal functionality during the day and emotional and physical growth. However, spinal misalignments may prevent them from enjoying their good night's sleep. Gentle adjustments can be performed to treat the misalignments and improve the child's sleep.
- *Behavior improvement* – Stress affects children emotionally and physically. Kids can undergo stressful situations that may lead them to act out as the only way of coping. Chiropractic adjustments help alleviate stress, hence improving the child's mood and overall behavior.
- *Improved brain development* – Spinal misalignments in children can exacerbate disorders like ADHD <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3437345/> or ADD. Pediatric chiropractic treatment can help them concentrate and stay focused. The adjustments can help relieve pressure on their bones, joints, and spine, hence improving neural brain development.
- *Eases the early stages of development* – Infants come with their unique concerns. For example, most children struggle with colic during the initial months, leading them to cry continuously. Chiropractic care can correct spine misalignment, colic, and trouble latching.
*Is It Safe?*
Yes. Pediatric chiropractic therapy is natural and medication free. Chiropractors use the following techniques to treat their patients:
- *Spinal manipulation* – This natural process is ideal for restoring spine alignments and enhancing communication between the body and the brain. It also gets rid of subluxations, a primary cause of various conditions. This makes the child perform better overall.
- *Massage therapy* – Chiropractors use massage therapy techniques to reduce anxiety in the child. It's also carried out to enhance the functionality of the various body systems.
- *Therapeutic exercises and stretches* – Physicians also offer treatment through therapeutic exercises to strengthen the muscles, enhance coordination, and achieve a lower injury risk. Older children will also be educated on the appropriate exercises and stretches that can improve their functionality.
- *Nutritional counseling* – One of the most common problems in the United States is child obesity. We offer nutritional counseling services that help patients avoid weight issues. The counseling also ensures the child is supplied with the energy and strength they need to push through their daily activities.
All these approaches are safe for your child and will deliver optimal results.
*The Bottom Line*
In this age of information, people are now more aware than ever of the impact of pediatric chiropractic care on children's health. Taking the kid to a reliable chiropractor will significantly improve their wellness.
If you are looking for a reliable pediatric chiropractor to improve your child's health, then you're in the right hands. Teasel Chiropractic Clinic is where you'll begin your child's journey to wellness. We support spinal age for patients of different ages and focus on creating healthy families in Brecksville, OH, and beyond.
Contact us <https://teaselchiropractic.com/contact> or schedule an appointment <https://teaselchiropractic.com/appointment> with us today so we can begin discussing your problem.